What is Sports Psychology?
Sport / Performance Psychology is aimed at educating individuals in a range of psychological skills, complimenting their physical/nutritional/technical knowledge, to enable the individual to achieve excellence in their chosen field. These skills prove not only essential for the development of individuals within their chosen profession, but also valuable tools in other areas of life. Sport and Performance Psychology offers individuals the chance to develop their mental approaches to performance through proper skills training, to assist them in effectively coping with both the physical and mental pressures of their daily work (sport, music, corporate or theatrical).
How can a Sport Psychologist help you?
A Sport Psychologist can help you with:
- Performance enhancement and mental skills (e.g. goal setting, imagery, confidence)
- Anxiety management and relaxation
- Concentration and mental preparation
- Stress and time management
- Team building and leadership
- Communication skills
- Travel skills
- Debriefing and program evaluation
- Recovery and restoration
- Injury rehabilitation
- Psychological assessment
- Video analysis of sporting emotions and performances
Extra support for individuals or teams:
- Over training and burnout
- Conflict resolution
- Weight management and health behaviours (eg. eating disorders)
- Career transitions
- Grief and loss (e.g. de-selection and retirement)
- Balancing sport and study, employment and/or family life